Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Oh, and this empire will have to fall, like the leaves giving way to a changing season.

Firstly, I'd like to say, HELLO AGAIN, WORLD!  I humbly apologize for my extended vacation.  To make up for it, I'm going to be blogging A LOT in the next few days.  And now, onto the real subject of this post.

The other day, I signed an online petition against corrective rape, an abhorrent act being practised around the world today.  Corrective rape is the act of men, sometimes multiple men, raping lesbian women in order to "turn them" - make them straight.


Of course, this is beyond ignorant, cruel, and hateful.  It leaps into the realm of utter stupidity.  A violent act of sexual assault is NOT going to make someone begin to have feelings for the opposite sex.  But unfortunately, in many places, women live in fear of being violated every day.

The first comment I received when I posted this petition onto my Facebook page was the following:

Hate to say this but a fb petition woulnt stop it.. We need an uprising of the repressed people to stand up and say. no! Were not gonna take this
Needless to say, people were offended, and a full-out war ensued.  I, personally, was so upset that I could barely speak.

Stand up and say no?  Clearly, this boy has no idea what he's talking about.  People who are being repressed and abused, living in a continuous state of terror, cannot just start an uprising without expecting severe harm to themselves.  His view was simply wrong, but he kept arguing it, becoming more and more offensive.

To be fair, though, this is his view, and I am not going to call HIM stupid for holding to a particular view, although I may find the view stupid.  What I DO protest is his criticism of political pressure as a tool to effect change when he does absolutely nothing to effect change himself.  The hypocrisy people show bothers me, sometimes.  Like when people who don't vote complain about the government's decisions - you have no right to complain!  You aren't doing anything!

Anywho.  That's my view.  Have a spectacular evening, my pretties, and welcome back to hothotbeet after our holiday hiatus!

Girl With One Eye

P.S.  If you'd like to sign the petition to fight for declaring corrective rape a hate crime, go to the following link:  http://humanrights.change.org/petitions/view/south_africa_declare_corrective_rape_a_hate-crime.  Political pressure DOES make a difference, and we need as many people as possible pressuring the South African government in particular to consider this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment