Thursday, September 23, 2010

I don't want to hear you kick me out, kick me out.

When I was in Grade 9, I was a little intimidated, to say the least.  I mean, it's a new school with kids and teachers I didn't know, many of whom were much bigger than me - totally understandable, right?

But I soon found that my school was full of really spirited, enthusiastic people, and I had every opportunity to get involved in a lot of great activities.  One of these was Activity Day - a day where students could participate in a range of school-facilitated activities, including laser tag, mini golf, and ziplining.  It sounded like a lot of fun - and it was.

But the next year, in Grade 10, it was decided that Activity Day would be available only for Grade 9s.  That was acceptable, my fellow classmates and I thought.  After all, we had been able to participate in Grade 9.

The next year, in Grade 11, they decided that Activity Day would be for the students in Grades 9 and 10.  We were a little disappointed, but it was something that we could get over.

This year, in Grade 12, Activity Day is for every grade but ours.

Needless to say, my peers and I are rather annoyed.  We pay student activity fees just like the rest of the school.  Why are we not allowed to participate in the same events?

The only reasons I've received so far are that a) Grade 12s have other exclusive activities such as grad trips and Prom, and b) Grade 12s often skip.

The reason Grade 12s have grad trips and Prom are that our senior year is a rite of passage, and we have earned these events through three years of dedicated servitude.  The fact that we have these events does not revoke our right to other student activities.  We still go to dances, pep rallies, etc.  Why not this?

As to the issue of Grade 12s skipping, this may have some basis in fact.  But the consequences of the disinterest of some students should not be suffered by their peers.  Besides, it's not just Grade 12s who skip - to be honest, I skipped Activity Day in the ninth grade.

To conclude, if two or more grades are involved in a school-wide activity, every grade should have the chance to participate. To do otherwise is ridiculous and unfair.

Sincerely,

The Girl With One Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment