Monday, September 27, 2010

You and me, baby, ain't nothin' but mammals.

Nudity.



So, now that that's out in the open, I suppose we can begin.  What did most of you think when I said that?  I hate to speak for everyone, but I'm assuming that most of you thought of naked people.  To go a little bit further, I'm going to assume that some of you were thinking of sexualized images.

Why do we think this way?  Why is nudity always associated with sexuality?  On one hand, the answer is obvious - most of the time people are clothed, and the naked body holds a certain mystique.  Then again, this is not always the case.  Children are often naked.  Tribal nudity is usually not sexualized.  And most people would not dream of sexualizing Michelangelo's David or the Venus of Willendorf.

I think our society is too sexualized.  Maybe that's just because my sister made me watch an episode of Jersey Shore yesterday, but I think it's more than  that.  Sex has become a focal point in our society, especially with young people.  No wonder nudity is so inextricably linked with sexuality in our minds.

Anyway.  This prompt was inspired by the article I wrote about the Dave St-Pierre show which I blogged about a while ago.  Score one for me.

All my love,

Girl With One Eye.

1 comment:

  1. I thought of bathing when you said nudity, 'cause, you know, people generally shower naked.

    :)

    ReplyDelete