Thursday, November 11, 2010

You've got the love.

The dog days are over.  Kiss with a fist.  Hurricane drunk.

What do all of these phrases have in common?  They are all titles of songs by the popular British band Florence + the Machine.  They are also all songs I listened to at her concert last Wednesday night.

On Wednesday, November third, Florence played at the Sound Academy in Toronto, Canada.  The following is my half-review, half-excited gushing, about the performance.

My friends and I drove there.  On the way up, we went through increasingly less impressive areas of Toronto.  When we turned into the entrance for the Sound Academy, we passed a Go-Karting rink.  To summarize, the venue wasn't incredibly impressive.

There were two opening bands.  The first was supposed to start at eight, but didn't end up going on until nine.  That was doable.  And they weren't bad - they were a lot better than they sounded, anyway, on account of the subpar sound system.

The second band was bad.  Just...  Very bad.

Florence didn't end up coming on until about eleven.  I was less than thrilled about this, as my friends would probably be able to tell you.  My feet hurt, and I was thirsty.  I was grumpy.  I was upset.  I demanded that they fetch me a litter and carry me around for the rest of the night.  But when she came on stage, none of that seemed to matter.

Florence was superb.  She was wearing a killer dress, and was so sweet that everyone immediately forgave her for making them wait.



All in all, this was a really good concert.  The audience was into it, there was the energy and drama that seems to come naturally to Florence, and it was a lot of fun.
 
Also, there were definitely people smoking pot.  A lot of people.
 
So, those are my thoughts about the Florence + the Machine concert last Wednesday night!  LISTEN TO HER, SHE IS SO GREAT.
 
Girl With One Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment